I hope you’re smiling, because March the 20th is (the first) International Day of Happiness.
As far as ‘International Days’ go, today is a mere dribbling baby; established by the United Nations General Assembly on 28 June 2012, Assembly Resolution A/RES/66/281, which states:
The General Assembly, […] Conscious that the pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal, […] Recognizing also the need for a more inclusive, equitable and balanced approach to economic growth that promotes sustainable development, poverty eradication, happiness and the well-being of all peoples, Decides to proclaim 20 March the International Day of Happiness, Invites all Member States, organizations of the United Nations system and other international and regional organizations, as well as civil society, including non-governmental organizations and individuals, to observe the International Day of Happiness in an appropriate manner, including through education and public awareness-raising activities […]
In keeping with the spirit of today, here’s a list of 25 things which ought to make you smile – or at least soften that grimace:
- The chances of you (as opposed to someone else) being born is about 1 in 40 million.
- On the day of his assassination, Martin Luther King Jr. had a pillow-fight in his motel room.
- If you say “my cocaine” you sound like Michael Caine saying his own name.
- Smiles really are contagious. Scientists in Sweden concluded that people had difficulty frowning when the looked at other subjects who were smiling.
- Every year, millions of trees grow thanks to squirrels forgetting where they buried their nuts.
- A pig’s orgasm lasts 30 minutes.
- Penguins only have one mate their entire life and “propose” by giving their mate a pebble.
- Otters hold hands when sleeping so they don’t drift away from each other.
- Wayne Allwine (the voice of Mickey Mouse) and Russi Taylor (the voice of Minnie Mouse) were married in real life.
- For someone, somewhere in the world, today is the most amazing day of their life.
- Sea horses mate for life, are completely faithful and travel together by holding on to each others tails.
- The kingdom of Bhutan use ‘gross national happiness’ as a key national indicator.
- A group of porcupines is called a prickle.
- Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.
- We’ve all been here forever. Every bit of matter we see has been here since the beginning of time and it always will be.
- Further to number 12, watch THIS VIDEO
- Costa Rica is statistically the happiest nation on Earth.
- Worms communicate by snuggling.
- 2013 is the first year since 1987 that consists for four different digits.
- Stressed is ‘desserts’ spelled backwards.
- Charlie Chaplin once entered a competition and won third prize. The competition was a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.
- A duck’s quack doesn’t echo, and nobody knows why.
- A mere 20 minutes of exercise, three days each week will increase your happiness by 10 to 20 percent after six months.
- Money does not buy happiness. After having your basic material needs met, additional money does not have any impact on your chemical levels of happiness.
- The most powerful way to increase your short-term feelings of happiness is to perform random acts of kindness to others, or to send a letter of gratitude to someone you care about. Five such acts in a week will increase your happiness for up to three months.
Know of any other interesting facts to make us smile? Please share them in the comments or drop me a message.